Colorado Springs injury attorneys explain why you shouln’t pursue hit-and-run drivers
A recent car crash near Lakewood, CO illustrates the dangers that can arise when pursuing a hit-and-run driver.
The crash occurred in the evening. One driver rear-ended the other and then drove off. The victim gave pursuit and confronted the hit-and-run driver, who pulled out a gun after the argument escalated. He allegedly shot at the victim, fortunately missing him (and also not hitting the victim’s wife and young son, who were in the car). It was a close call, and the evening could have had a much more tragic end.
The dangers of pursuit
When pursuing a hit-and-run driver, you increase the risk of the following:
- A violent confrontation.
- An additional accident as a result of the reckless pursuit. Any driving that takes place at a high speed and when emotions are running high will more likely lead to a disaster.
- Death or medical complications from unattended injuries. Instead of receiving emergency medical care ASAP, the needs of injury victims will be made secondary to the need for pursuit.
What should you do instead?
It’s tempting to give pursuit. You want the other person to face justice. You want to get their insurance information and hold them accountable for what they did to you and to your passengers and vehicle. But don’t give in to the temptation to pursue. Here’s what you should focus on instead:
- Calling the cops. Hopefully their investigation will uncover the identity of the hit-and-run driver.
- Seeking medical attention. It’s important to get even minor injuries looked into after an accident. Sometimes even minor symptoms are masking a serious problem.
- Talking to witnesses on the scene. They may have caught the license plate number or other identifying details that will help locate the hit-and-run driver.
- Contacting reputable injury attorneys. This is especially important if you’re having problems with your insurance company in the aftermath of a hit-and-run accident, or if the other driver is discovered and can be held liable for the damages you’ve suffered.
Don’t hesitate to contact us to ask for advice and assistance after a hit-and-run accident. You shouldn’t be left stranded with enormous costs as a result of another driver’s reckless and criminal behavior.