Five Myths about Hiring Car Accident Attorneys in Colorado Springs
Much as we wish there weren’t, there are a lot of misconceptions about hiring a car accident attorney out there. Here are five car accident attorney myths that you should leave in your rear-view mirror.
- The insurance company will take care of me fairly so I don’t need to hire an attorney: Insurance companies are in the business to make money. They will not pay any more than they think they have to pay. If the insurance company thinks you will settle for less than you are entitled, they will take advantage of you. Claims adjusters and insurance attorneys work hard to save the insurance company money. A car accident lawyer will know how much you should be entitled to and will work on your behalf to make sure you are compensated fairly.
- If I hire a lawyer I will have to go to trial to be fairly compensated: Eighty to ninety percent of car accident cases settle without going to trial. Depositions will still be needed from witnesses, police officers and doctors but the majority of cases will settle out of court.
- Getting a settlement will take forever: Typically a settlement is reached 2 to 3 months after you have been released by your doctor. Yes, occasionally cases go to trial and take longer but the more common outcome is 2 to 3 months.
- I will have to give half the money I receive to the lawyer: When you hire your car accident attorney discuss how much they will be paid since different firms have different payment options. Find out if the fee will be hourly or a percentage of the settlement. The settlement percentage can range from 15% to 40% and will depend on the complexity of your case.
- Hiring an attorney will just mean I have someone else asking me questions about the accident: First, you do not need to answer every question the insurance companies ask you. Let them know you have been in an accident and have been injured but don’t feel that they need you to provide more detailed information. You should focus on getting better. By hiring an accident attorney you will have more time to rest and recover because your attorney will be taking care of the everything else you. Let your accident attorney sort out the paperwork and deal with the insurance hassle.
At Heuser & Heuser we have handled thousands of personal injury cases. If you have been in a car accident and need a car accident attorney to represent you, contact us.